The state government had relaxed the 24-hour curfew imposed on the state as a result of the outbreak of violence following the bombing of three Churches in Kaduna and Zaria two weeks ago.
However, even as the curfew was relaxed, residents restricted their movements to the vicinity of their residence.
After a Security Council meeting at the Sir Kashim Ibrahim Government House, Kaduna, on Monday, the government announced that residents were free to move about from 12 noon to 4pm.
The state added that as from Tuesday, residents in Kaduna North, Kaduna South, Igabi and Chikun local Governments of the state would be free to move about from 7am to 4pm.
The statement added, “The 19 remaining local governments in the state, people can move freely from 6am to 6pm.”
But the relaxation of the curfew appeared not to have made any difference as the metropolis remained deserted.
The ever-busy Ahmadu Bello Way, Independence Way, Ali Akilu Road, the Central Market and the Kawo Motor Park were deserted. Only few vehicles plied the roads. As at the time of filing this report, shops along the Ahmadu Bello Way remained closed.
As a result of the crisis, which left many people dead, some residents that spoke with our correspondent vowed never to go out of their houses to the city centre until they were sure that normalcy had been restored.
One of the residents said, “I will not step to the town until I am sure that everywhere is peaceful. If my employers wish, let them sack me, but I cannot compromise my life for their work.
“Many people were killed on Tuesday when the government relaxed the curfew and we thought all was well.
“I have my shop in the town, but I will not go out tomorrow until I am sure that there would not be trouble again.”
Meanwhile, the umbrella body of the North, the Arewa Consultative Forum, said on Monday that the sacking of the National Security Adviser and the Minister of Defence was a reaction to the outcry across the nation.
The National Publicity Secretary of the organisation, Mr. Anthony Sani, told our correspondent on Monday in Kaduna that the appointment of retired Col. Sambo Dasuki “may or may not solve the security challenges” the country was currently facing unless conscious efforts were applied in containing the insecurity in the land.
Sani said, “The sacking of the National Security Adviser and the Minster of Defence by President Jonathan is reaction of outcry across that nation that the government need to do more in its campaigns against the security challenges.
“The appointment of Sambo may or may not solve the problems. It depends on how conscious efforts are applied towards containing the security challenges.
“The constitution of Nigeria only provides that each state of Nigeria must have at least one minister. It makes no reference to how portfolios are distributed.”
BY DAVID ATTAH, KADUNA