Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Sports

Relationship Matters

Opinion

54 Killed in Bauchi, Kaduna Attacks

54 killed in Bauchi, Kaduna attacks
Scene of the bomb blast at De Peoples Hotel, Bayan Gari in Bauchi State on Friday night.


A total of 54 persons were killed in Bauchi and Kaduna states in separate attacks on Friday and Saturday.

Eleven people were killed and 14 injured when gunmen attacked a hotel in Bauchi, Bauchi State on Friday night.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Haruna Mohammed, told the News Agency of Nigeria on Saturday that the attack occurred at Peoples Hotel, Bayan Gari.

He said corpses of the deceased had been deposited at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital, Bauchi, while the injured were receiving treatment at the same hospital.

An eyewitness, Ahmed Maidoki, told NAN that five persons in military uniform carried out the attack by detonating explosives and shooting at random.

“We were just sitting down, watching highlights of the ongoing FIFA World Cup at the viewing centre located in between the two-storey building of the hotel when five men dressed in military uniform strolled in.

“We thought they were security personnel, who came to relax as well. I noticed they all positioned themselves at the four corners of the hall.

According to him, an explosion followed, after which the arena was covered with thick smoke. He further said he and his friends sprawled on the ground, shivering.

“We were trying to get out when the men started shooting sporadically at any one who tried to stand up, and in the process, killing many of the survivors of the blast,” he said.

Another eyewitness, Usman Hassan, said he was just about to enter the hotel when the blast occurred and immediately ran away from the scene.

“As soon as I was a bit far from the scene, I heard gun-shots. Few minutes later, a white Toyota Hilux vehicle zoomed out of the hotel on high speed with men wearing army uniforms,” he said.

The Bauchi State Police Commissioner, Lawal Shehu, on Saturday said one suspect had been arrested in connection with the attack.

Briefing newsmen on the arrest made, Lawal said the suspect was being interrogated and efforts intensified to apprehend his accomplices that fled.

The commissioner said the number of victims of the attack had risen from 10 dead and 14 injured, to 11 dead and 28 injured.

He urged members of the public to be security conscious and observe happenings within their immediate environment.

“The general public should pay special attention to persons and objects, particularly at motor parks, market places, schools, places of worships, shopping malls, eateries and hotels.

“They should report any suspicious persons or objects within their neighbourhood, to the nearest police station for prompt response, using these numbers – 08151849417 and 07013490795.

Meanwhile the Bauchi State branch of the Nigerian Red Cross has condemned the attack, describing it as barbaric and inhuman.

The state’s Secretary, Mohammed Bashir, told NAN that they received a call around 9.50 on Friday night, about the attack.

“Immediately I received the call, I and my men rushed to the scene to provide First Aid treatment to the victims.

“Afterwards, we, along with the State Emergency Management Agency, police, military and the State Security Service personnel, evacuated them to the hospital.

“We still carried out search and rescue operation at the scene this morning (Saturday) to ensure that every injured person was evacuated. It was a terrible experience,” Bashir said.

In Kaduna State, some unidentified gunmen killed 43 people in Ambie and Paa villages on Saturday.

A report by Sahara Reporter indicated that the gunmen struck in the early hours of Saturday, killing 33 persons in a remote village called ‘Ambie’. The gunmen also killed 10 persons in Paa village.

It was also gathered that there was serious humanitarian crisis in the area as over 30, 000 people were taking refuge in public schools and police stations, while thousands had fled to Nasarawa and Plateau states.

The military authorities confirmed the latest attack but said it had no details of casualties.






Share this post with your friends and also share your thoughts by adding your comments below. Follow us on Social Media - Add us to your Circles, like our Facebook Page, Follow us on Twitter, Follow us on Pinterest or Subscribe to our RSS feed for our latest posts.


No comments

Post a Comment