Responsive Ad Slot

Latest

Sports

Relationship Matters

Opinion

2015 AFCON Qualifiers: Rwanda Lose Appeal Against Disqualification



The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has rejected an appeal by Rwanda against their disqualification from the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).

A statement on CAF website on Sunday said the decision was taken after CAF’s Appeals Board met on Aug. 27 to address Rwanda’s appeal against their disqualification earlier this month.

The country was expelled after beating Congo in the second round, as the latter argued that Daddy Birori had been ineligible to play in the tie.

Congo had argued that the player has both Rwanda and DR Congo passports, both of which bear different names and different dates of birth.

“Any team that has committed fraud on the identity of a player shall be eliminated from the competition,’’ CAF said in the statement.

It said its Appeals Board established that the player was the same who played in the Champions League with the club AS Vita using the name Etekiama Agiti Tady.

Rwanda’s failure means that Congo Brazzaville will compete in Group A of the final qualifying competition, alongside defending champions Nigeria, South Africa and Sudan.

Libya, who Rwanda beat in the first round of qualifying, had previously lodged a claim against the striker but their protest had failed.

The group phase of Nations Cup qualifying gets underway on Friday, Sept. 5 with Congo playing in Nigeria a day later in Calabar







Source: Vanguard

Share this post with your friends and also share your thoughts by adding your comments below. Follow us on Social Media - Add us to your Circles, like our Facebook Page, Follow us on Twitter, Follow us on Pinterest or Subscribe to our RSS feed for our latest posts.


No comments

Post a Comment